Thursday 31 March 2011

Pick me Up @ Somerset House part 2

Hello again,


I thought Id mention a couple of the artists that stuck out at for me at the exhibition. 

Annelie Carlstrom

Image by Annelie Carlstrom

Image by Annelie Carlstrom

Image by Annelie Carlstrom
I first came across Annelie's work in the latest Monki  magazine I got in the post.  I was then surprised and super excited to see her work up close at the Pick Me Up exhibition.  Her work has to be seen the flesh to truly appreciate the incredible detail. If i wasn't so broke I would have brought a piece (or a few) right then and there! You can find out more about Annelie and her work on her lovely blog.



Seiko Kato


Image by Seiko Kato

Image by Seiko Kato


For my final degree project I decided to go wild and do a collage depicting the story of Cinderella. I thought searching and cutting out images to use would be a piece of cake.....I was so very wrong.  As soon as i saw Seiko's work my finger started to tremble with the memory of the scalpel.  You cant really see it in the images about but each piece is painstakingly cut out and assembled.  The results are astonishing and once you get over the initial reaction of, "that must have taken ages to do" you begin to appreciate the composition and delicate beauty of each piece. You can find out more about Seiko and her amazing work on her blog.


The Embankment galleries at Somerset House are huge and it was slightly dizzying trying to look at everything.  I was hoping to go back to the exhibition to catch the rest of what I didn't get time to see before it closed but didn't make it due to the protests..........Ill leave that story for another time!


PS.........I also need mention a really nice magazine called Its Nice That. I bought the first and second issue and Ive only had a chance to read a couple of pages but can see my self falling in love! If you are interest in contemporary arts and graphic design you'll love it too! Ill attempt to have a post dedicated to each edition.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment